Tuesday, August 23, 2011

New Life Day 2

Well, I made it through Day 1 pretty well, I think.  Healthy meals all around, and just a little sweetness when I ate a smallish piece of birthday cake (no frosting) at a celebration last night. Did some noon-time walking at the mall.  All in all, a decent day.

So I've been thinking how to go about becoming the younger me.  I honestly doubt my ability to sustain sweeping lifestyle changes such as: Exercise every day!  Eat only good foods and give up sweets!  Ain't gonna happen. So,  I have decided to attack my negative habits-- hmmm, let's call them "less desirable habits" to sound a bit more positive--one small step at a time, turning one new behavior into a habit before moving on to another. But where to start?

One of my biggest issues is my sedentary job -- sitting in front of a computer for the majority of the workday-- and my sedentary hobbies -- jewelry making and reading.  I think my "sedentariness" is a good starting point.

One logical solution would be to join a fitness center, and it is a great solution -- for someone else!  I am totally aware that I have a real hard time a) getting up early enough to exercise before work; b) getting up enough motivation to exercise after work; and c) coughing up the money it costs for a membership.  So, here's what I have decided to try for the next two weeks.  If it doesn't work for me, I'll come up with Plan B.

1. Get up early and walk at least one workday each week.
2. Walk every Saturday and Sunday.
3. While at work, get up from my desk at least every 2 hours or so and do a "walkabout" around the building or around the block for 10 minutes each time.

OK -- Step 1 - Plan A is now officially on record and going "out there" to the blogger world, holding me accountable. Here goes!

No comments:

Post a Comment