Monday, August 22, 2011

Growing Younger

Hi,
Welcome to the first day of my new life. 

Last week I attended a meeting focused on workplace wellness.  The speaker shared a website I found particularly interesting: http://www.realage.com/

This site offers a "test" which takes you through a number of questions related to your lifestyle and health habits.  Based on your responses, you receive a "real age" score  -- that is, the age your body is, not the age your driver's license says.

I couldn't wait to try it. As it turned out, my score was exactly the same as my real age.  I guess I shouldn't be too disappointed about that -- it's certainly better than finding out my body is a lot older than my years (although it increasingly feels that way).  However, it got me to thinking about my eating and exercise habits (considerable improvement needed here), my weight (too high), and my physical activity (too low).

Combine these thoughts with recent issues of Good Housekeeping magazine that have focused on various aspects of aging and products and practices to hold back the flood gates. Seems like the forces have converged to create a reflective awareness of my 62.7 years, and I'm feeling pretty darn grumpy about my current state of affairs.

Sadly, I am rarely motivated to exercise (except for a friendly round of golf followed by dinner).  I have never felt the "high" some people brag about. I value exercise and truly admire those who are self-disciplined enough to stick with it.  I'm just not interested.  Same with food.  I know the difference between healthy foods and unhealthy ones, but, given a choice, I'll take the bag of Twizzlers every time.

So, having confessed my lousy health habits, I am ready to initiate a new effort to address as many things as I realistically can to improve my health and longevity.  I plan to publicly keep track of my progress on this site, not that I expect very many people will read it, but I know it is out there, and that will help me be accountable.  I will also post information that I find helpful to share with any phantom readers out there.

If you would like to journey backward in age and would appreciate some support, join me!

1 comment:

  1. Well, I took the test and was pretty happy with my age, but not so happy with the number of medications I take. Diet and exercise can replace some of those, I think, so that is definitely an incentive!

    ReplyDelete